Studying at an international school brings enormous benefits for the future of its students, obviously starting with the language in which they teach, but also from much broader points of view, from cultural enrichment to multiple intelligences.
Although there are immersive international schools in all major languages of the world, the most widespread is the international school format in English, whether British or American (as is the case of Gresol International American School). The name “elite school” has become popular, although today the elite relies more on the quality of education and teaching professionals, than on the economic accessibility of these highly competitive centers.
If we wonder why our children should study in an international school in English, then we have five fundamental reasons:
- Bilingualism or real trilingualism. The earlier we learn a new language, the greater its domain will be. If a child incorporates a foreign language at the time he is learning to speak, and does so intensively, he directly becomes a native speaker, adding the new language to his mother tongue. In Barcelona we are bilingual, and an English or American international school will make us real trilinguals. Children will think in English as they do in Catalan or Spanish. At the same time, the more languages we are fluent, the easier it is to assimilate new ones. That means they can learn a fourth and fifth languages with much ability than anyone else.
- Another way of thinking. Initially, learning new languages involves thinking in different ways because we learn to express what we think and feel in multiple methods. But studying in English in a social environment that is not provides students with a greater capacity to understand complexity, as well as a better ability to understand multiculturalism, diversity and openness of the global world in which we have to live. Without a doubt, learning in a foreign language that is also global and universal like English opens the mind to lateral thinking and human skills that are fundamental such as empathy, for example.
- First level artistic and scientific education. Beyond the language, an international school like Gresol International American School is committed to a highly intensive and technical education in arts and sciences. We are aware that we prepare a promising future for our students, who will need to explore and identify their innate talent, their skills within the wide range of multiple intelligences. This requires a first-class music training, taught by highly qualified professionals who can hardly teach in other types of centers. Similarly, both scientific education and high-level plastic arts require important investments for tools and equipment that an international school (and, of course, Gresol International American School) can count on it. Certainly, growing with this educational level in arts and sciences let open all the doors to the formation of the future. Several studies confirm it: many young people fail to develop their creative, scientific or technical talent due to lack of a good base during Primary and Secondary Education.
- The opportunity of the bilingual International Baccalaureate (High School Diploma). It is one of the great achievements of Gresol International American School and one of the mainstays of the future for those young people who want to grow professionally and personally. The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a global homologation training program, which guarantees the acquisition of knowledge of high-level skills endorsed by almost all private universities and, progressively, to more public universities in the world. It is a baccalaureate open to the world, generator of great opportunities because they qualify in a clearly differentiated way and avoid biases of geographical criteria. A single criterion worldwide. The IB can be taught in English, Spanish or French, and at Gresol International American School we have opted for the two major common languages of the world: a bilingual International Baccalaureate in English and Spanish, 50% for each language.
- A future without borders. As a result of all of this, studying at an international school in English, even more with a bilingual International Baccalaureate (because the students arrive at Baccalaureate with a high level in a third language) gives a future without borders, limits or barriers. From an international school such as Gresol International American School, future professionals will leave with excellent communication skills, but also with abilities, aptitudes and attitudes that will open the doors of the world, and facilitate any access to the university.
Without doubt, education in English, in an international school like Gresol International American School, is a very important investment to make for the parents. Unfortunately, the public sector is not ready to deal with this level of education nor to arrange it. Anyway, it is the most important investment we can make because it is about the future of our sons and daughters. Derek Curtis Bok, who was president of Harvard University, said it very clearly: “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.”