“Music is the arithmetic of sounds, as optics is the geometry of light”. This quote, from the well-known composer Claude Debussy, helps us to get an idea of the importance of music in education. It is a transversal art, which goes from the word to the most intense emotions, and a discipline that allows developing multiple skills such as creativity and abilities such as multiple intelligences. Therefore, at Gresol International-American School, we have a project: Advanced Music Program. The main objective of this project is to integrate elementary musical studies into general education.
In the first stage of the Advanced Music Program, the students of Gresol International-American School will become familiar with the sound and musical contents, developing a sensitivity based on voice, hearing, dance, and movement, and sound research from objectives and musical instruments adapted to these ages.
Later, in the second stage, with habits already acquired, it will be the moment where students will acquire the basic notions of musical language. This task will be done in the Choral Language and Singing classes and will be applied directly in the instrument classes. In parallel, a collective work will also be carried out where the students of Gresol International-American School interact by participating in groups or orchestras.
Methodology and objectives
The work methodology that is carried out in Advanced Music Program is an eclectic commitment based on the use of the contributions of the different currents used during the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, combined with the traditional system of Solfeo study, interpretation and Chamber music. In short, this methodology combines the four elements of musical teaching: language, choir, individual, and joint instrument.
And this innovative methodology seeks to meet the following objectives:
- To progress in the development of personality through music.
- To develop the capacity for communication and expression through musical language.
- To achieve rigor in work, awareness in individual work, and the ability to be critical of oneself.
- To promote creative and artistic skills, as well as the ability to concentrate and coordinate, among others.
- To develop multiple intelligences and become aware of the importance of the sounds, silence, and music that surround us every day.
- To enjoy and value individual and group music practice, encouraging interaction with others, along with understanding and coordination.
Advanced Music Program is a project promoted by Gresol International-American School to continue enriching the already innovative and improved educational plan. Always, to offer our students the complete training and the right environment so that they can release their talent and creativity, and, ultimately, grow as people.